As cities become denser and consumers move towards online purchases, traditional transportation and logistics models face increased pressures on capacity. As a result of this, urban air mobility and goods delivery is a rapidly growing market that has been gaining significant interest amongst both aviation and land transportation companies. An ecosystem of stakeholders is developing Vertical Take-off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft, leveraging advances in drone technology to open new transport routes and models.
Implementation of drones and VTOLs requires a complex combination of electric and hybrid propulsion technology, new and existing regulatory frameworks, operations management, take-off and landing siting, charging infrastructure, and air traffic control. Recent advancements in battery power densities and AI (Artificial Intelligence) have led the transportation industries to re-think the capabilities of a traditional VTOL. The rise of ride-sharing apps and shared ownership models adds further complexity to this emerging industry.
At Ricardo Strategic Consulting (RSC), we partner with our clients to providing cutting-edge technical and strategic solutions to help companies navigate the challenges of the nascent drone and VTOL market. By leveraging the development experience of the wider Ricardo group, where our engineers have developed clean-sheet UAV and helicopter powertrains, RSC can incorporate our consultants’ commercial expertise and business acumen to provide a unique best-of-both-worlds approach. We work with government agencies and regulators, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), Tier 1 suppliers, and industry bodies to provide a full spectrum view of the VTOL and drone market.
Services that the RSC team can offer in this space include:
- Advanced techno-economic modelling of market size and price elasticity, including technical and operational factors, for target setting and business case establishment
- Detailed market entry strategy development for global regions based on primary and secondary market research and analysis
- Technology roadmapping across both vehicle and operational platforms
- Competitor benchmarking and supply chain evaluation, including supplier profiling
- Cost estimation and supplier outreach for electric and hybrid propulsion systems
- Analysis and summary of legislative and regulatory frameworks and trends