Governments, businesses and consumers continue to align on the need to decarbonise the global economy and reduce human impact on the environment. For those with a vision to use clean energy, hydrogen is attractive as it provides a method of storing, distributing and using renewable energy. Producing low or zero-emission is crucial for hydrogen to be adopted as a clean energy option of the future.
Support for hydrogen is growing, and the industry is gaining momentum. For those businesses looking to adopt hydrogen, understanding the benefits of hydrogen versus other energy carriers and fuels is complex. The hydrogen economy could have a multi-sector impact. Our clients often find they are left with a number of questions that need to be rapidly answered. Clients regularly approach Ricardo to gain an understanding of the following:
- What role does hydrogen play in the scenarios my company has to face in the future?
- Is hydrogen the best form for my customers to access sustainable renewable energy?
- Where and how should we develop hydrogen technologies?
- What are the opportunities and risk factors of using hydrogen?
- What are the best options for our products based on a complete lifecycle assessment?
- What are the supply chain issues for hydrogen fuel cells?
- Is the use of hydrogen the best option for me as I move toward decarbonisation targets?
- How do other options compare?
- Is ammonia produced from renewable hydrogen a fuel I should consider?
At Ricardo, we are technology agnostic, and we focus on recommending the best solutions for both the location, sector, situation and client we are working alongside. It’s important to assess the entire lifecycle of a product to understand its impact on the environment, and we can help to assess the capital and operating costs of the technologies.
For example, it might be more effective to use battery electric vehicles in one country and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in another. Our independent experts are equipped to assess the environmental and commercial impact of hydrogen-based decision-making throughout the product’s lifecycle. We can advise on transport, production and distribution and energy and industrial uses. Our team of consultants act as trusted advisors to our clients across global markets
Ricardo Strategy Consulting provides help for global clients to advise on the adoption and use of hydrogen. Specific services include:
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology Strategy
- Innovation Strategy, Research and Development
- Hydrogen fuel cell supply chain issues
- Future decarbonisation scenarios for hydrogen in all transport modes and in the supply chain
- Product development for hydrogen fuel cell systems and combustion engines
- Market entry strategy for hydrogen fuel cell systems
- Technical due diligence of hydrogen fuel cell systems
- Total cost of ownership modelling for vehicle fleet owners, including hydrogen fuel cells.
Hydrogen has the potential to play a role as a clean, secure and affordable energy vector of the future and could help to decarbonise a number of sectors. To find out if hydrogen should be a part of your decarbonisation plan, contact RSC today.